With the cooler and wetter weather on its way, your pooch will have a lot more inside time. Below find a roundup of activities to keep them entertained (and refrain from destroying the furniture), also known as "Netflix for dogs".
1. Find The Treat - Grab some treats and have your dog watch as you place them around the room. Give your dog the cue to “find the treats” and encourage your dog to pick them up, remembering to praise them every time they find one.
2. The Shell game - To play the shell game with your dog let your dog watch as you place a treat under one of three cups. You then shuffle the cups around and encourage them to ‘find the treat.
3. Use a stuffed treat toy - If you want to keep your dog busy for awhile try stuffing a Kong with some of their favourite treats. You can freeze some peanut butter or broth inside, or just put some treats in there and give your dog something to work for.
4. Tug of war - Engage in meaningful play with our dogs. It’s a great way to mentally and physically exercise your animal and doesn't require a large space.
5. Teach Tricks - Does your dog know how to weave through your legs and jump through a hoop? There’s always a new trick you can teach your dog. Sit, stay, give paw, on your bed, jump and weave through your legs are all good options. There are a number of online resources you can use to learn how to do this, but treats, patiences and encouragement go a long way.
- April 22, 2021
- Lara Robertson